Job Title :
Counter Sales Agent and Station Attendant- SASKATOON
Reference Number :
Permanent - Part time
Job Category :
Annual Salary / Hourly Rate :
Number of positions to be filled :
Application Deadline :
VIA Rail Canada Inc. is currently seeking to fill 1 Station Attendant/Counter Sales Attendant positions for our Saskatoon station.
If your definition of giving excellent customer service means greeting people warmly, answering their needs with diligence, efficiency, and heartfelt appreciation for their business—then we share your beliefs!
For 40 years VIA Rail Canada has built this reputation by providing exceptional service, in a safe and secure environment.
Our customers’ journey typically starts with a quest for information regarding their desired trip and the purchase of tickets.
We greet every traveler passing through Saskatoon station with a smile and:
• Provide them with service and fare information
• Help them buy their tickets
• Secure and confirm their reservations
• Assist them to board or detrain (wheelchair, baggage handling, etc...)
Other tasks include:
• Issuing and/or processing refunds
• Preparing ticket sale reports
• Loading/unloading baggage, packages or other items such as sports equipment
• Maintaining cleanliness of the station
If routine is not your “cup of tea”, you like challenges and can thrive under pressure, you will connect with our customer service teams. Satisfying customers tactfully always prevails over occasional irritants and unpleasant situations.
Some important pragmatic details about the job:
• Minimum of 20 hours a week guaranteed – with a willingness to work up to 30 or 40 if necessary.
• Sunday & Wednesday 4:00AM start time.
• Tuesday & Friday 8:00AM start time.
• Non-working days: Monday, Thursday, Saturday
• Basic shifts are 4-5 hours long, but the train is often delayed by 8-10 hours, meaning some days we stay late until 6-7PM. Shifts can be become quite long including over-time pay after 8 hours.
• No “on-call” shifts. All shifts are set, but vary in duration depending on the train.
Please note that working schedules may change based on operational demands, special circumstances and train delays. You must be very flexible when it comes to your work schedule and expect to work holidays as well.
• You must successfully complete a 5 week training period, with approximately 3 weeks of full-time classroom training in Winnipeg (all accommodations/travel covered by VIA)
• Hourly Training Rate for 5 weeks: $15.00/hour
• After Training Hourly Rate for Station Service Attendant Shifts: $26.27/hour
• After Training Hourly Rate for Counter Sales Agent Shifts: $22.69/hour
You are well-suited for this challenge if you:
• Have a strong ability to communicate with a smile, both in English and French
• Possess a high school diploma
• Have a minimum of one year of customer service experience ideally in tourism, hospitality or airline company
• Have great computer and Internet search skills
• Possess a valid driver’s license (you will be required to drive a motorized vehicle for baggage)
• Are physically able to lift up to 23 Kg
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.