Job Title :
Diesel Engine Mechanic
Reference Number :
Permanent - Full time
Job Category :
Annual Salary / Hourly Rate :
Number of positions to be filled :
Application Deadline :
VIA Rail Canada Inc., a leader in passenger transportation in Canada, is currently seeking applications for Diesel Engine Mechanics to fill 1 position to work at it's Montreal Maintenance Center in Pointe St-Charles.
SALARY Hourly rate: $29.24 to $35.29
At VIA Rail Canada, our mission is to reimagine the Canadian journey by creating smarter ways to travel.
VIA Rail is a major Canadian player in the transport industry and strongly believes that travel should be an easy, sustainable and enjoyable experience that meets the individual needs and preferences of today’s and tomorrow’s passengers. In the spirit of transformation, our values of innovation, trust and agility are even more important and guide all our actions.
The reliability of our locomotives is a fundamental part of ensuring safe and enjoyable travel for our passengers. That’s why diesel engine mechanics play a crucial role as part of the large maintenance team working behind the scenes 365 days a year, 24 hours a day to maximize passengers’ comfort.
Our astute diesel engine mechanics thrive on problem-solving. They come to us from a variety of mechanical fields—diesel, construction equipment or heavy machinery, marine, etc.—and join the team through our apprenticeship program to become specialists in the railway industry. In this position, duties include:
INSPECTION: Conducting thorough inspections based on VIA Rail’s high standards and diagnosing defects
TROUBLESHOOTING: Determining the cause of mechanical failures and showing efficiency in problem-solving and time management
REPAIRS: Conducting all types of repairs on our locomotive engines, such as making adjustments (calibrations), changing parts, etc.
PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE: Applying the preventative maintenance program in compliance with VIA Rail’s stringent quality standards
• Full-time position with a set schedule and guaranteed hours (40 hours per week)
• Apprenticeship programs guides you toward becoming a specialist in the railway industry
• Bonus pay for evenings, nights, statutory holidays and based on your journeyperson status
• Full employee benefit package with all contributions paid by VIA Rail
• Uniform, safety equipment and tools provided
Use your talents to contribute to the railway industry today!
• DVS in heavy vehicle, heavy road vehicle or construction equipment mechanics
• Minimum of two years of experience in diesel mechanics (asset)
• Availability to work varied schedules (days, evenings, nights, weekends, statutory holidays)
• Capacity to meet physical demands of the position (medical exam)
• Ability to work in any weather conditions
• Ability to attend trainings and understand instructions in French
• Be a certified journeyperson in your field (asset)
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.