We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer with excellent communication skills and the ability to execute and make key decisions in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. As a skilled Mechanical Engineer, you will investigate, conceptualize, design, and detail complex rolling stock configuration changes and overhaul programs on mechanical systems using theories, engineering principles, experience and technical knowledge in problem solving in accordance with regulations and industry and VIA standards. You will also interface and provide technical support to your stakeholders such as the workshop, procurement, operations, and others.
For equipment modifications and occasionally for major complex programs:
- Defines the scope of work and confirms feasibility based on the originator’s requirements.
- Performs the necessary detailed calculations to develop a preliminary design.
- Develops schedules and estimates material, labor, and engineering costs.
- Validates the design and costs by overseeing a prototype installation with unionized labor.
- Finalizes the design and prepares the fleet modification instructions along with the required specifications, requisitions, and tender documents.
- Defines and approves internal and external design (through design reviews or otherwise).
- Determine causes of failures and recommend design improvements
- In collaboration with the other groups, define the maintenance requirement for the new configuration.
- Ensures that system safety aspects are respected in the design process.
- Establishes the quality and environmental program requirements as well as performing health and safety impact assessments.
- For large projects, develops a work breakdown structure
- Establish and document technical and/or purchase specifications
- Participate and support RFPs tender process (technical reviews of tender, system compliance..)
- Participate in acceptance testing
- Supports other department activities.
- Verifies and approves drawings and schematics.
- Prepares Bills of Material and Material Stocking Requests.
- Prepares Service Bulletins for configuration changes.
- For new configuration, prepare maintenance procedure, operating guides, and recommended spare part list.
- Keep up-to-date on work-related methods, technologies and advances in the field of engineering.
- Acts as liaison with contractors and with shop floor personnel and other groups:
- Provide technical support to other groups such as shop, servicing, procurement, operation etc.
- Work closely with shop personnel and other group to develop and validate prototypes.
- Qualifies suppliers for providing new products or services.
- Evaluate engineering information submitted by consultants, contractors, manufacturers and suppliers.
- Interfaces with consultants to ensure they comply with the scope of work.
- Leads kick off meeting, design reviews, testing, validation and post mortem per good project engineering practices.
- Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5 to 10 years of pertinent experience.
- Accreditation (or eligibility for accreditation) as a member of l’Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec.
- Mechanical engineering hand-on experience, including project engineering, design of components and systems, (mechanical & electro-mechanical) analyzing technical problems, developing solutions, implementing technology and preparing specifications in an industrial setting.
- Microsoft Office suite, CAD software (AutoCad), Solid Works.
- Railway or heavy transportation equipment experience.
- Experience with rolling stock related systems (doors & steps, air/water plumbing, HVAC, etc.).
- Knowledge of railway vehicle dynamics, and instrumentation and testing.
- Knowledge rolling stock body structure, of welding, machining, , and stress and failure analysis.
- Ability to work autonomously and lead a team, when required.
- Problem solver and decision maker. Work efficiently with colleagues of different discipline.
- Strong communication and writing skills. French and English.
- Ability to work in a team and to collaborate with others.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Dynamic and motivated individual.
- Strong hands-on practical experience.
- Able to demonstrate good engineering design and problem solving skills.