VIA Rail Canada Inc., Canada's national passenger rail service, is currently seeking a dedicated team-player to fill a unique position on-site at VIA’s esteemed Jasper Maintenance Centre. Our On-Site Maintenance Technician is a specialized resource delivering on a diverse scope of electrical and mechanical inspections and repairs. By leveraging VIA Rail Canada’s expert training, maintenance manuals, and tools—you will perform careful procedures on both the locomotives and our rolling stock in compliance with VIA’s preventative maintenance program, as we continually surpass Transport Canada’s safety standards.
STRONG BACKGROUND IN ONE OR BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING:
1) ELECTRICAL AND HVAC:
• Experience troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, lighting systems etc.
• Experience installing, repairing, and replacing: electrical controls, panel boxes, etc.
• Testing and measuring voltages, loads, ground faults etc.
2) MECHANICAL AND GENERAL TRADES:
• Determining root causes of mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic defects on locomotives and rolling stock.
• Replacing and servicing major components of the train: wheelsets, couplers, springs, brake rigging etc.
• Plumbing and piping for air and water.
• General maintenance on: seats, toilets, tables, sinks, blinds, panels, windows, etc.
• This is a permanent part-time position, starting at 30 hours per week.
• Working days Tuesday-Saturday, Sunday and Monday off.
• Shift times can vary depending on train arrivals and departures, must be willing to work a variety of hours on working days: morning, afternoon, and into the night at times.
• Hourly salary: $29.24 - $35.29/H - Based on experience
• Evening shift differential: $0.75/H
• Night shift differential : $1.00/H
• Red Seal differential: $1.00/H
• Excellent core competency in Heavy Duty Mechanics, Millwrighting, Plumbing, Electrical or HVAC.
• Experience in multiple trades.
• A “Get It Done” attitude and willingness to learn.
• Red seal certification.
• Experience in machinery maintenance.
• Experience assembling, mounting, or finishing transportation equipment.
Being a journeyman