Reporting to the Senior Manager, Procurement, the Senior Procurement Specialist is responsible for the development and implementation of procurement strategies, plans, and programs for the files assigned to him/her which are mostly for indirect spend. The senior specialist will also be responsible for managing the portfolio assigned to him/her. The chosen candidate will work in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders to reduce risks and optimize VIA Rail’s opportunities for procurement projects. This person will act as an advisor and will ensure liaison with other services, external organizations and government agencies on the assigned procurement files. He/she will apply best practices, experience, and knowledge to improve the product and service offerings.
- Build and maintain a strong relationship with the stakeholders, understand their requirements, and recommend best practices.
- Conduct research and analysis of the market, identify and evaluate potential suppliers, and evaluate potential risks.
- Establish schedules, priorities, and action plans in order to provide for timely completion and solutions.
- Prepare and publish call for tender documentation assigned to him/her for which the contract value is greater than 500K$, ensuring that all of the requirements are clearly defined.
-Plan, develop, and implement procurement strategies in cooperation with relevant stakeholders for complex projects and purchases.
-Evaluate the offers and negotiate agreements in order to put the best contract conditions into place.
-Evaluate risks, propose mitigation plans, and work with the Legal department to draft contract.
- Lead vendor performance management activities within his/her portfolio.
- Acts as the advisor to guide the stakeholders through the Procurement process and help in the development of the scope of work.
- Responsible for contract renewals and amendments.
- Effectively communicate and work with the Finance Center of Expertise group who will prepare purchase orders for goods and services upon contract signature.
- Have an in-depth understanding of the commodity and propose strategies, opportunities, and identify leverages.
- Gather, consolidate, interpret, and present analysis results to support decision making. Integrate this information to the organization’s strategy.
-Solve complex problems, identify potential risks related to projects and identify potential threats related to the supplier market and propose solutions for improvement.
-Identify priorities to ensure goals are reached.
-Ensure the accuracy of contractual commitments in the purchase orders issued.
- University degree in Business Administration or Finance.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in procurement for the tendering and contracting of services.
- Must have experience in preparing and leading complex call for tenders, complex negotiations and in data analysis.
- Strong ability for procurement strategy development as well as knowledge of contractual and legal aspects.
- Excellent communication skills (French and English) and interpersonal skills, and a genuine interest in customer satisfaction.
- Professional ethics and integrity.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- High level of initiative in addition to notable competence in organization, planning, and leadership.
- Ability to support the implementation of significant changes within his/her sector.
- Must have experience in strategic sourcing and vendor performance management.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining a collaborative approach with coworkers.
- Excellent knowledge of the Office Suite.
- Experience working in procurement with a fully integrated management system, such as Oracle, is an asset.